Use this Lineman job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Lineman responsibilities include:
- Installing transmission and distribution lines between power plants and individual buildings or homes
- Reading and interpreting electrical wiring diagrams
- Digging trenches or climbing poles to repair or maintain underground and overhead electrical cables
We are looking for a Lineman to join our team and install or repair power lines that run above or below ground.
Lineman responsibilities include inspecting power lines or repairing power lines as needed.
Ultimately, you will work with a small team of electricians to install, repair, or replace power lines.
- Install electricity meters at residential homes and buildings
- Perform inspections to prevent power outages by replacing or repairing components
- Clear away tree branches or other hazards near live power installations
- Troubleshoot power outages and problems with electrical lines and wires
- Attend to call-outs and perform repairs in an efficient and timely manner
- Report progress, complications, concerns, and delays to the supervisor
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Lineman or similar role
- Extensive experience with climbing gear, digger derricks, aerial lifts, backhoes, tensioners, pullers, and cranes
- In-depth knowledge of federal safety regulations and guidelines
- Knowledge of wiring diagrams, as well as electrical and building codes
- Superb troubleshooting abilities
- Great organizational and time-management skills
- Relevant training and/or certifications
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Lineman do?
- A Lineman installs, repairs, and replaces electrical power lines to ensure homes and businesses have the energy they need.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Lineman?
- A Lineman has many responsibilities, such as working with heavy equipment to reach power lines, and using various tools to repair or replace power lines.
- What makes a good Lineman?
- A good Lineman must have excellent knowledge of electrical equipment and how to safely remove or replace power lines in hazardous conditions or after large storms.
- Who does a Lineman work with?
- A Lineman will work with many professionals, such as Electricians, to install, repair, or replace power lines.