Use this Hospital Social Worker job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Hospital Social Worker responsibilities include:
- Educating patients and families about illnesses and treatment plans
- Conducting psychosocial assessments to identify mental or emotional distress
- Counseling those in crisis or experiencing distress
We are looking for a Hospital Social Worker to join our team and provide support and guidance for patients who need additional support as they navigate the healthcare system.
Hospital Social Worker responsibilities include educating patients about various resources at their disposal and interviewing patients to understand their unique needs.
Ultimately, you will work directly with patients to help them obtain the resources and support they need to recover from their injuries or illnesses.
- Assess each patient’s unique condition, combining data from medical diagnoses and personal interviews
- Develop comprehensive plans to help patients adjust to medical diagnoses and transition from the health care system to normal life
- Provide necessary support for each patient according to health status, personal strengths and weaknesses, emotional state and additional factors
- Research local support groups and other resources to determine which ones are right for individual patients
- Evaluate services and resources provided to patients to determine effectiveness
- Follow up with patients throughout diagnosis, treatment and recovery to determine current state of mental and emotional health
- Maintain current knowledge of local resources and relevant medical research to provide best possible recommendation to patients
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Hospital Social Worker or similar role
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to explain medical concepts to patients in understandable language
- Compassionate demeanor with patients of all ages and conditions
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Hospital Social Worker
Frequently asked questions
What does a Hospital Social Worker do?
A Hospital Social Worker provides emotional support and counseling for patients by developing personalized plans for individual patient care.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Hospital Social Worker?
A Hospital Social Worker has many responsibilities, such as interviewing patients to understand their needs and directing patients to various resources they need to make a full recovery.
What makes a good Hospital Social Worker?
A good Hospital Social Worker must have excellent communication skills since they need to direct patients to various resources and talk with hospital staff to help patients receive the care they need.
Who does a Hospital Social Worker work with?
A Hospital Social Worker will work with many professionals, like Physicians, to ensure each patient receives the medical attention they need.