Hiring update email: Recruiter to hiring manager
This sample hiring update email from recruiters to hiring managers provides information about the current status of the hiring process, like number of candidates screened, interviewed or rejected.
Hiring update emails from recruiters to hiring managers are helpful, particularly at the beginning of your recruiting process before managers begin interviewing candidates. These frequent email updates help:
- Make the hiring process transparent
- Facilitate communication between recruiters and hiring managers
- Prepare hiring managers for the interviews
Customize your emails to provide the most relevant information to your hiring manager. In general, these emails tell hiring managers that recruiters:
- Received X applications and pre-screened Y candidates
- Scheduled X of phone-screening calls
- Advanced X of candidates to the interview phase
- Rejected X of candidates
Make sure that your emails are brief and well-structured, so that hiring managers get a quick update on the status of the hiring process. For example, a bulleted list can help you illustrate each hiring stage. Attach a file (e.g. interview notes, candidate resumes, test/assignment results), if you want to share more information.
The following sample hiring update email to hiring managers refers to the phone-screening phase. Tweak this template for other hiring stages.
Subject line: Update on [Job_title] position / Status of [Job_title] position
Hi [Hiring Manager’s_name],
I’m sending you an update on where we stand with the [Job_title] role:
- Number of phone screening calls conducted: [e.g. 6]
- Number of applicants we advanced to the assignment phase: [e.g. 2]
- Number of phone screening calls scheduled for next week: [e.g. 5]
- Deadline for assignment submission: [e.g. 6/20/2017]
Here’s an overview of the qualified candidates:
- [Candidate1_name]: Doesn’t have relevant experience, but has researched our company and is genuinely interested in the role. We had a very pleasant discussion and I would like to see the assignment results.
- [Candidate2_name]: Has two years of work experience in a similar role and knows a lot about the industry. The tone of our discussion was formal.
For more detailed information, feel free to refer to my notes [attach file to email.]
Please let me know if you need more information. We can schedule a quick [e.g. call or meeting] to follow up.