Health Information Technician job description
A Health Information Technician is a professional who processes and maintains the medical records of patients, doctors and healthcare specialists within a medical facility.
Use this Health Information Technician job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Health Information Technician responsibilities include:
- Receiving and processing patient forms, medical histories and test results from medical professionals
- Analyzing the information collected to ensure that it is correct and accurate
- Assessing health records and insurance claims
We are looking for a Health Information Technician to join our records department to keep all patient records and health information up-to-date.
Health Information Technician responsibilities include complying with privacy laws, processing patient forms and ensuring that all patient medical records are accurate and organized for Physicians and other medical staff.
Ultimately, you will work with other Health Information Technicians to ensure all patient information is updated and accurate within our organization’s system.
- Ensure compliance with confidentiality laws and regulations
- Manage and update data for clinical databases and registries
- Use classification software to allocate appropriate clinical codes for insurance compensation and data examination
- Implement an effective electronic health record system
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Health Information Technician or similar role
- Excellent research, coding and analytical abilities
- In-depth knowledge of computers and information systems
- Outstanding organizational and communication skills
- A bachelor’s degree in health information or related field is preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a Health Information Technician do?
Health Information Technicians are responsible for tracking and analyzing patient records, and they help with responding to requests from various departments within the hospital, including security or litigation.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Health Information Technician?
Health Information Technicians are responsible for collecting, analyzing and tracking patient treatment data while also responding to requests from other departments within a healthcare facility.
What makes a good Health Information Technician?
A good Health Information Technician must have excellent organizational skills since they are responsible for keeping patient records organized and up-to-date within an organization’s system.
Who does a Health Information Technician work with?
Health Information Technicians work with a variety of professionals in a healthcare facility like a patient’s Physician to ensure individual records are updated and accessible when needed.
Hiring Health Information Technician job description
Post this Health Information Technician job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.