General Surgeon job description
A General Surgeon is a medical professional who performs surgeries and other procedures for patients who suffer from different medical conditions.
Use this General Surgeon job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
General Surgeon responsibilities include:
- Performing surgical procedures to address various medical needs for their patients
- Examine patients and make diagnoses to determine the need for surgery
- Review patient medical history and plan the best procedure for treatment
We are looking for a General Surgeon to join our team and perform a variety of surgical procedures on our patients in our health facilities.
A General Surgeon’s responsibilities include educating patients on their surgical options, preparing patients for surgery and leading surgeries as needed.
Ultimately, you will work with a team of medical professionals overseeing the medical and surgical care of patients.
- Evaluate and advise patients on the risk involved with having surgery
- Perform surgical procedures to prevent or correct injury, disease, deformities and patient function while adhering to regulatory and ethical protocols
- Follow established surgical techniques during surgery
- Prescribe preoperative and postoperative treatment and procedures
- Ensure sterility in the operating room, and all equipment and instruments
- Direct and coordinate activities of hospital staff for proper patient care
- Oversee all treatment prior to and post-surgery, and identify associated risks
- Maintain the highest regard for patient dignity and observe the precepts of the American Hospital Associations Bill of Rights for patients
- Plan and execute disease/illness prevention and health promotion programs
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a General Surgeon or similar role
- Fantastic manual dexterity, hand-eye coordination and visuospatial awareness
- Superb organizational and time management skills
- Excellent decision-making skills and communication
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Emotionally resilient with the ability to make patients feel at ease
- Great management and leadership skills
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a General Surgeon
Frequently asked questions
What does a General Surgeon do?
A General Surgeon is a medical professional who specializes in surgical procedures. They often work with Anesthesiologists, Nurses and other medical professionals to diagnose or treat patients' conditions through surgery.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a General Surgeon?
A General Surgeon has many responsibilities before and after surgery, but their main duties include overseeing surgical procedures to ensure everything is carried out effectively.
What makes a good General Surgeon?
A good General Surgeon must be a good critical thinker since they help diagnose patients to ensure they need surgery. They also need to have good communication skills since they work with many health professionals to ensure each surgery is performed as required.
Who does a General Surgeon work with?
A General Surgeon will work with many health professionals during surgery like Nurses and Anesthesiologists to ensure each surgery is performed effectively.
Hiring General Surgeon job description
Post this General Surgeon job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.