Use this Funeral Director job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Funeral Director responsibilities include:
- Meeting with family and friends of the deceased to discuss funeral arrangements
- Explaining the costs of the funeral to family and friends of the deceased
- Coordinating practical arrangements for the funeral that are respectful, professional, timely, and sensitive
We are looking for a Funeral Director to join our team and oversee the planning, organization, and management of our funeral home.
Funeral Director responsibilities include meeting with families to discuss funeral arrangements, ordering caskets and other products for the memorial service, and overseeing the preparation of the deceased prior to the funeral.
Ultimately, you will work directly with the friends and family of the deceased to ensure they receive the support and resources needed for the funeral and memorial service.
- Meet with families of the deceased to discuss funeral arrangements and requests
- Explain pricing and product information for caskets and flowers to family and friends
- Order casket, flowers, and other necessities for funeral and memorial services
- Make arrangements for pallbearers, readers, and other participants in the funeral
- Assist family in selecting a gravestone if necessary or put them in touch with cemetery personnel
- Oversee preparation and embalming of the deceased prior to the funeral
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Funeral Director or similar role
- Demonstrates strong organizational skills
- Exhibits patience, empathy, and compassion
- Can communicate calmly and kindly with bereaved family and friends
- Pays close attention to detail
- Exhibits ability to properly manage and oversee a budget
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Funeral Director
Frequently asked questions
What does a Funeral Director do?
A Funeral Director is a professional caregiver that works with families and friends of those who have passed on. They oversee, direct, and coordinate all aspects from preparation through services, including visitation or burials.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Funeral Director?
A Funeral Director has many responsibilities, including overseeing the transportation of a casket to the funeral and addressing customer issues or complaints throughout the planning and execution of a funeral or memorial service.
What makes a good Funeral Director?
A good Funeral Director must have excellent interpersonal skills as they work with grieving family members of the deceased.
Who does a Funeral Director work with?
A Funeral Director will work with many professionals, such as Morticians, to ensure bodies are properly prepared before a wake, funeral, or burial.