Forester job description
A Forester is a professional who is in charge of caring for, planting, and managing trees or forests.
Use this Forester job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Forester responsibilities include:
- Conducting technical forestry work including timber marking, volume estimation, technical assistance for use of forest or sale of forest products
- Collecting forest data for statistical analysis to be used by industries and government bodies
- Establishing and measuring permanent forest sample plots for land management surveys
We are looking for a Forester to join our team and work in state and national forests to mark and investigate trees ready for harvest while also preventing wildfires and other natural occurrences.
Forester responsibilities include measuring permanent forest sample plots, interpreting aerial photographs of plots, and responding to wildlife emergencies.
Ultimately, you will work with a small team of Foresters to ensure our forests are healthy and help organizations and government bodies understand the state of our forested lands.
- Prepare stands for contract tree planting
- Prepare contracts for harvesting forest products and other contract services
- Mark and investigate trees that are ready to be harvested
- Interpret aerial photographs of plots
- Coordinate and conduct felled-tree volume studies
- Evaluate areas to be burned prior to and after burning
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Forester or similar role
- Knowledge about forested lands and ecosystems
- Understanding of how to use GIS data and interpret aerial imagery for plot assessments
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Forester
Frequently asked questions
What does a Forester do?
Foresters are involved in a large range of activities covering ecological restoration, timber harvesting, and day-to-day management of protected areas.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Forester?
A Forester has many responsibilities, such as drawing up plans to regenerate forested lands, monitoring the progress of those lands, and supervising tree harvests.
What makes a good Forester?
A good Forester must be in excellent physical condition since they are required to walk and stand for long periods of time. They must also know how to use various tools and instruments to assess the health of individual trees and the ecosystem.
Who does a Forester work with?
A Forester will work with many professionals, such as Park Rangers, to help prevent wildfires and other environmental disasters throughout the year.
Hiring Forester job description
Post this Forester job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.