Use this Cyber Security Specialist job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Cyber Security Specialist responsibilities include:
- Safeguarding information system assets
- Protecting systems by defining access privileges, control structures and resources
- Implementing security improvements
We are looking for a Cyber Security Specialist to join our team to work closely with the stakeholders to ensure that cyber security projects meet objectives across our organization. They are responsible for various tasks, including process re-engineering and documentation of activities related to this area.
A Cyber Security Specialist’s responsibilities include using their skills to detect insecure features and malicious activities within our networks and infrastructure. They will implement customized application security assessments for client-based asset risk, corporate policy compliance as well as conduct vulnerability assessment. They should have an advanced understanding of TCP/IP, common networking ports and protocols, traffic flow, system administration, OSI model, defense-in-depth and common security elements.
The specialist’s focus is not only limited to assessing whether vulnerabilities exist but also how those risks could be mitigated which can help provide organizations with more confidence about system stability going forward.
Ultimately, you will work to ensure the security of our business information, employee data and client information throughout our entire network.
- Determine security violations and inefficiencies by conducting periodic audits
- Upgrade our network and infrastructure systems
- Implement and maintain security controls
- Identify and solve potential and actual security problems
- Assess the current situation, evaluating trends and anticipating security requirements
- Keep users informed by preparing performance reports; communicating system status
- Maintain quality service by following organization standards
- Maintain technical knowledge by attending educational workshops
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Cyber Security Specialist or similar role
- Hands-on experience analyzing high volumes of logs, network data and other attack artifacts
- Experience with vulnerability scanning solutions
- Proficiency with antivirus and security software
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent education or work experience
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Cyber Security Specialist do?
- Cyber Security Specialists ensure that a company's systems are safe from attack. They create and implement security audits across computer hardware, software programs or both – making sure the information being processed on these devices still performs as it should despite any vulnerabilities they may find in order to protect against data breaches.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Cyber Security Specialist?
- Cyber Security Specialists are responsible for discovering vulnerabilities and risks in networks, software systems and data centers with ongoing vulnerability scans, monitoring network data, and ensuring hardware and software applications are updated. They manage any potential attacks or intrusions that may occur during this time period to make sure the client's information isn't compromised.
- What makes a good Cyber Security Specialist?
- Cyber Security Specialists need to be creative problem solvers, tackling both new and old cybersecurity challenges across a variety of technologies. A successful Cyber Security Specialist must know how to troubleshoot problems, implement ongoing network monitoring, and provide real-time security solutions to their team. They must also be able to make decisions in high-stress situations and communicate effectively with other team members.
- Who does a Cyber Security Specialist work with?
- Cyber Security Specialists are tasked with keeping the networks, data and systems safe. They are responsible for the integrity and security of the organization’s network and must keep all data secure. To accomplish this, they typically work with a team of other Cyber Security Specialists and usually work directly with other employees and department leaders as security issues arise.