Use this City Carrier job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
City Carrier responsibilities include:
- Receiving mail from the distribution center and organizing it into an efficient system for sequential delivery
- Delivering mail in a vehicle or on foot along a predetermined route, maintaining the established schedule
- Collecting any outgoing mail on the route and returning it for sorting and delivery
We are looking for a City Carrier to join our team and oversee delivering and picking up mail from specific addresses.
City Carrier responsibilities include receiving mail and organizing the mail to be delivered to the appropriate locations.
Ultimately, you will work with a small team of carriers to receive and deliver mail as needed.
- Route all classes of mail in sequence of delivery along an established route.
- Withdraw mail from the distribution case and prepare it in sequence for efficient delivery independently or by another carrier along an established route
- Prepare and separate all classes of mail to be carried by truck to relay boxes along the route for subsequent delivery
- Handle undeliverable mail in accordance with established procedures
- Deliver mail along a prescribed route, on foot or by vehicle, on a regular schedule, picking up additional mail from relay boxes as needed.
- Use portable electronic scanner as instructed
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a City Carrier or similar role
- Physical conditioning to walk extended routes while carrying a fully loaded bag for on-foot routes
- Strong interpersonal skills to greet customers on the route
- Perseverance in the face of extreme weather
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a City Carrier
Frequently asked questions
What does a City Carrier do?
The City Carrier is responsible for delivering mail and receiving it from residents or businesses.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a City Carrier?
A City Carrier has many responsibilities, such as following an established route to deliver and collect mail.
What makes a good City Carrier?
A good City Carrier must have excellent attention to detail since they need to deliver mail to specific destinations. They must also be in good physical condition, as they walk throughout the day.
Who does a City Carrier work with?
A City Carrier will work with many professionals like a Mail Clerk to ensure mail is organized and delivered to the final destination.