Use this Child Life Specialist job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Child Life Specialist responsibilities include:
- Helping children cope with anxiety, fear, separation, and adjustment
- Making doctors, needles, and tests less intimidating for children
- Providing art, music, and pet therapy as needed
We are looking for a Child Life Specialist to join our team and help our pediatric patients have a more relaxing and effective recovery time while in our healthcare facility.
Child Life Specialist responsibilities include helping children cope with fear and anxiety while in a healthcare facility and acting as the child’s advocate while they are in the hospital.
Ultimately, you will work directly with children in our healthcare facility to make their stay more relaxed and as comfortable as possible.
- Support children and their families by using a variety of tactics to help them better understand the process, procedure, or other elements of their medical experience
- Develop age-appropriate strategies to minimize trauma and increase understanding of a medical diagnosis through treatments plans using therapeutic play, education, preparation, and activities that promote growth and development
- Advocate for the special needs of children and their families
- Help children and their families process and cope with medical situations
- Provide information, support, and guidance to parents and family members
- Collaborate with the healthcare team to coordinate and manage care
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Child Life Specialist or similar role
- Bachelor’s degree in child life studies (or a related field such as child development, child and family studies, psychology, or early childhood education)
- Education requirements as determined from the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP)
- Previous experience working with children
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Child Life Specialist
Frequently asked questions
What does a Child Life Specialist do?
Child life specialists help children and their families navigate the process of illness, injury, or hospitalization. The child's stability is our number one priority as healthcare providers so they can enjoy learning in a safe environment with minimal stress.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Child Life Specialist?
A Child Life Specialist has many responsibilities, such as helping children cope with anxiety and fear, organizing activities, and creating a unique medical plan for the child patients as needed.
What makes a good Child Life Specialist?
A good Child Life Specialist must have excellent interpersonal skills to bond with and understand the needs of children and other patients.
Who does a Child Life Specialist work with?
A Child Life Specialist will work with many professionals like Doctors to ensure the child patients are as comfortable and relaxed as possible during their time in the healthcare facility.