Use this Chief of Staff job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Chief Of Staff responsibilities include:
- Gate-keeping and monitor the flow of multi-platform communications to and from the Office of the Chairman
- Aiding in and ultimately ensure the timely completion of creative projects
- Keeping executives organized with logistics, meetings, and emails throughout the day
A Chief of Staff is a position that supports executives in their roles. They take over smaller responsibilities and handle other day-to-day items while attending meetings on behalf of the executive leader to write notes for them and lead strategic planning processes across an organization.
A Chief of Staff plays an important role because they oversee various aspects of managing the logistics of a CEO or Executive’s daily work, including presentations, interactions with colleagues, and scheduling.
Chiefs of Staff are the key to ensuring that executives constantly remain in touch with their company. They do this by taking over daily duties, interacting closely with employees, and identifying and addressing any issues that may arise. They are also responsible for filtering key information as it gets shared up through executive ranks.
Ultimately, a Chief of Staff supports executives in several ways to ensure the company’s goals and initiatives are met.
- Manage the Chief Executive’s schedule, including scheduling meetings and planning travel
- Provide department leaders with recommendations and consultation to improve teamwork across the organization
- Assist the executive team members to determine and prioritize business strategies based on their schedules
- Determine key performance indicators and how to measure team performance
Requirements and skills
- Experience with budget management
- Consulting experience with a focus on operations management
- Proven success in a project coordination role
- Nimble business mind with a focus on developing creative solutions
- Strong project reporting skills, with a focus on interdepartmental communication
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Chief of Staff do?
- The Chief of Staff supports their executive leader in many capacities like taking notes during meetings and keeping their schedules updated. The Chief of Staff has one simple task: make sure everything runs smoothly throughout company operations for their executive leaders.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Chief of Staff?
- The Chief of Staff is a crucial figure in any organization. They have the power and responsibility to make sure that all administrative, financial, and operational aspects are running smoothly for their President/CEO or other executives.
- What makes a good Chief of Staff?
- A CoS needs to be able to read people, understanding their emotions and intentions in the day-to-day operations of an office. They also need leadership skills in order to work well with others while processing information efficiently and help their executive team with various tasks.
- Who does the Chief of Staff work with?
- The Chief of Staff works directly with members on the executive team, including those who hold high-level positions such as CEOs and board members.