When running a background check on candidates, there might be unforeseen delays. The background check provider might need to conduct more research than expected or you might need time to process results for multiple open roles.
In these cases, it’s best to update candidates on the status of their background check and, if possible, let them know when they can expect to hear back from you. That way, you:
- Keep your finalists warm
- Reassure candidates that the delay is because of external factors and not because you’ve found something alarming in their background check or have disqualified them already
- Maintain seamless communication with candidates throughout the hiring process and build a positive candidate experience
Here’s a sample background check update email to send to candidates:
Subject line: Update on your background check for [Company_name] / Update for the [job title] position at [Company_name]
Dear / Hi [Candidate’s name],
I hope all is well with you. I wanted to check in and let you know we [haven’t gotten the results of your background check from X yet / haven’t reviewed your background check yet]. We are expecting to finish with the process [by the end of the week]. I will contact you again as soon as I have any news.
In the meantime, feel free to reach me via email or at [phone number], if you have any questions.
All the best / Kind regards,
[Your email signature]
- 8 FAQs about employment background checks
- Tips for choosing the best background check service
- Red flags in candidates’ background checks
- How to run a background check with Workable
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial