Archivist job description
An Archivist is a professional who appraises and researches documents in order to determine the importance or potential value of different items.
Use this Archivist job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Archivist responsibilities include:
- Facilitating acquisition, preservation, arrangement, description, and access to born-digital materials
- Creating heritage research files relevant to business objectives
- Assisting staff, researchers, and interns interested in accessing the Archives
We are looking for an Archivist to join our team and help our organization research different records to determine the value of various items.
An Archivist’s responsibilities include working with documents, videos, and photographs to determine the historical importance and value of items found.
Ultimately, you will work with a team of historical experts to determine the significance of historical items in our organization.
- Appraise the materials, determine preservation and conservation issues, and elect best practices for resolving issues
- Complete organization, preservation, and description of the collection
- Teach archival instruction sessions, create exhibits, and engage in other outreach activities
- Maintain and update archival database
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as an Archivist or similar role
- Knowledge of various types of documents to determine the historical importance of an item
- Experience researching items and determining potential value
- Relevant training and/or certifications as an Archivist
Frequently asked questions
What does an Archivist do?
Archivists are responsible for organizing, researching, and reviewing historical records to decide how significant or valuable they may be in the future.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Archivist?
An Archivist has many responsibilities, such as evaluating various materials to determine the value of an item.
What makes a good Archivist?
A good Archivist must have excellent research skills since they must know how to access various sources to determine the value or historical significance of an item.
Who does an Archivist work with?
An Archivist will work with many professionals like a Computer Technician to help them access various resources with various network systems.
Hiring Archivist job description
Post this Archivist job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.