Use this Anesthesiologist job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs
Anesthesiologist responsibilities include:
- Examining patients, reviewing medical history and reviewing tests before surgery
- Fully sedating or numbing parts of a patient’s body in preparation for surgical procedures
- Creating anesthesia plans for each patient
We are looking for an Anesthesiologist to join our team. This person will provide patients with high-quality and painless care during surgical procedures. Anesthesiologists play a key role in taking care of patients and ensuring patients receive the care they need throughout a procedure.
Anesthesiologist responsibilities include administering and managing anesthesia as part of the process before, during and after surgery. They also evaluate patients and their medical history prior to surgery, including prescription medicine, over-the-counter medicine and herbal supplements.
Ultimately, you will administer, monitor and record the type and amount of anesthesia used during the procedure. You will collaborate with other physicians for patients that require at-home pain management.
- Examine patients to ensure they are prepared for surgery
- Monitor vital signs during surgery
- Manage medical problems if they occur during surgery
- Making cooperative decisions that are in the best interests of the patient
- Monitor recovery
- Determine when a patient has recovered from the effects of anesthesia
- Create recovery plans
- Consult with other doctors on patient care
- Decide when a patient is ready to be discharged or be moved to a specific room
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as an Anesthesiologist or similar role
- MD or DO qualification
- Board Certified/Board Eligible
- Be able to stand for long periods of time, walking long distances, lifting, climbing, stooping, pulling and pushing
Frequently asked questions
What does an Anesthesiologist do?
Anesthesiologists administer anesthesia before surgery and monitor the patient throughout. The type of anesthesia varies depending on what procedure the patient is undergoing. In some cases, Anesthesiologists do not physically provide anesthesia, but supervise Nurse Anesthetists or Anesthesia assistants while they administer the anesthesia.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Anesthesiologist?
An Anesthesiologist is responsible for administering anesthesia leading up to and during surgical procedures. This includes meeting with patients before surgery, assessing vitals during surgery, and monitoring recovery post-surgery.
What makes a good Anesthesiologist?
A good Anesthesiologist is someone who is incredibly detail-oriented, works well under pressure, and is an effective communicator. An Anesthesiologist must also have a deep understanding of how to safely treat the entire body during a medical procedure.
Who does Anesthesiologist work with?
Anesthesiologists work directly with patients and alongside surgeons, nurse anesthetists, anesthesia assistants and other doctors.