Use this Accounts Payable Specialist job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Accounts Payable Specialist responsibilities include:
- Comparing system reports to balances and verifying entries
- Collaborating with internal departments to gather, analyze and interpret financial data
- Receiving, processing, verifying and reconciling invoices
We are looking for an Accounts Payable Specialist to join our team and work with our accounting department to oversee our organization’s expenses.
Accounts Payable Specialist responsibilities include processing payments, verifying invoices and performing account reconciliations as needed.
Ultimately, you will work with our accounting team to ensure our organization’s expenditures are accurate and our accounting practices are standardized across the organization.
- Charge expenses to accounts and cost centers and control petty cash spending
- Verify vendor accounts, pay vendors and resolve purchase order, invoice or payment discrepancies
- Issue purchase order amendments and stop payments
- Monitor payroll expense claims, including salary advances and overtime payments
- Reconcile account transactions with the general ledger
- Perform recordkeeping and prepare financial reports
- Keep informed of regulatory requirements and best practices in accounting
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as an Accounts Payable Specialist or similar role
- Advanced competency in accounting and business management software
- In-depth knowledge of accounts payable principles, accounting standards and industry regulations
- Extensive experience in account reconciliation
- Great time management and organizational skills
- Excellent collaboration and communication abilities
- Relevant training and/or certifications as an Accounts Payable Specialist
Frequently asked questions
What does an Accounts Payable Specialist do?
The Accounts Payable Specialist is part of the accounting team and oversees an organization’s day-to-day financial transactions, including accounts payables, corporate credit card reconciliations and other specialized tasks.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Accounts Payable Specialist?
An Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for collaborating with various departments to gather and analyze various financial data to ensure an organization’s finances are in order. They may also oversee payments to vendors, control petty cash spending and resolve payment discrepancies.
What makes a good Accounts Payable Specialist?
A good Accounts Payable Specialist must have an excellent understanding of accounting practices and reconciliations. They must also be detail-oriented since they will review many financial documents.
Who does an Accounts Payable Specialist work with?
An Accounts Payable Specialist will work closely with financial professionals, such as Accountants, in an organization to help manage the expenses of an organization.