Use this Academic Advisor job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Academic Advisor responsibilities include:
- Discussing career and educational goals with students
- Aiding in the course selection process to ensure progress toward student goals
- Displaying an interest in student development
We are looking for an Academic Advisor to join our team and help students progress through their academic journey.
An Academic Advisor’s responsibilities include overseeing new student orientation, helping students choose classes, and helping students determine their strengths.
Ultimately, you will work directly with students to help them understand their educational options and help guide them throughout their academic careers.
- Identifying student strengths and weaknesses
- Maintaining updated reports on student progress
- Intervening if behavioral or academic abnormalities occur
- Connecting students with resources, such as counselors or tutors
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of institutional policies
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as an Academic Advisor or similar role
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain accurate and updated records concerning student performance
- Understanding of institutional policies, procedures, and resources
- A desire to help students in their academic journey, from enrollment to graduation
- Relevant training and/or certifications as an Academic Advisor
Frequently asked questions
- What does an Academic Advisor do?
- Academic Advisors help students develop an educational plan to help them achieve their goals and guide them through their educational careers.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of an Academic Advisor?
- An Academic Advisor has many responsibilities like discussing educational goals and aspirations with students to help guide them toward the right courses and majors.
- What makes a good Academic Advisor?
- A good Academic Advisor must have excellent organizational skills since they work with multiple students throughout the year. They also need to have good communication skills since they need to share detailed information with students and their parents about educational opportunities.
- Who does an Academic Advisor work with?
- An Academic Advisor will work with many professionals like a School Counselor to understand students' needs and ensure they get the right educational opportunities for their needs.