Use this Medical Transcriptionist job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
What is a Medical Transcriptionist?
A Medical Transcriptionist is a professional who listens to audio recordings made by physicians and healthcare professionals and transcribes them into written reports. They play a crucial role in converting spoken medical information into accurate written documentation.
What does a Medical Transcriptionist do?
A Medical Transcriptionist’s primary responsibility is to transcribe audio recordings of medical dictations into written reports. They use specialized equipment and software to ensure accurate and timely transcription. They also review and edit transcriptions for accuracy and completeness. Their role contributes to maintaining accurate patient records and supporting effective communication among healthcare professionals.
Medical Transcriptionist responsibilities include:
- Listening to the recorded dictation of physicians and other healthcare professionals
- Using specialized transcription equipment such as headsets and foot pedals
- Editing and correcting medical dictation performed by speech recognition software
We are seeking a skilled Medical Transcriptionist to join our team and play a crucial role in transcribing audio files and Physician notes into written documents for our health record system. As a Medical Transcriptionist, your primary responsibility will be to accurately transcribe dictated notes using various speech recognition software.
Additionally, you may assist in entering medical reports into our electronic health care record system as required.
Collaborating closely with Physicians and other medical professionals, you will ensure the efficient transcription of notes and voice recordings to support our organization’s operations.
Join us in delivering quality healthcare documentation and contributing to the smooth functioning of our healthcare processes.
- Convert transcribed diagnostic test results, procedures and consultation notes into applicable report formats
- Ensure uncompromised patient care by transcribing fast and accurately, as well as performing thorough editing
- Type out the full forms of medical abbreviations and acronyms, as well as the formal versions of medical jargon
- Identify and follow up on inconsistencies, errors and missing information within a transcribed report
- Submit transcriptions to healthcare professionals for their approval in a timely manner
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Medical Transcriptionist or similar role
- Ability to transcribe accurately and maintain a minimum typing speed of 65 words per minute
- Experience with specialized transcription equipment and voice recognition software, including WebChartMD and PhraseExpander
- In-depth knowledge of medical terminology and jargon, as well as editing practices
- Keen attention to detail in order to not compromise patient care
- Post-secondary training in medical transcription is preferred
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Medical Transcriptionist do?
- A Medical Transcriptionist transcribes audio recordings of medical dictations into written reports, ensuring accurate documentation of patient information.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Medical Transcriptionist?
- The duties of a Medical Transcriptionist include listening to recorded dictations, using transcription equipment, editing and correcting transcriptions, and ensuring accurate and timely completion of medical reports.
- What makes a good Medical Transcriptionist?
- A good Medical Transcriptionist possesses strong typing skills, attention to detail, knowledge of medical terminology, proficiency in transcription equipment and software, and the ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in transcribing medical records.
- Who does a Medical Transcriptionist work with?
- A Medical Transcriptionist typically works with physicians, healthcare professionals, and other members of the healthcare team to transcribe and accurately document medical information.
- What skills should a Medical Transcriptionist have?
- A Medical Transcriptionist should have excellent typing skills, knowledge of medical terminology, proficiency in transcription equipment and software, attention to detail, time management abilities, and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.