Use this Medical Transcriptionist job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Medical Transcriptionist responsibilities include:
- Listening to the recorded dictation of physicians and other healthcare professionals
- Using specialized transcription equipment such as headsets and foot pedals
- Editing and correcting medical dictation performed by speech recognition software
We are looking for a Medical Transcriptionist to join our team to transcribe audio files and Physician notes into written documents to be stored in our health record system.
Medical Transcriptionist responsibilities include transcribing dictated notes with various speed recognition software. This position may also help with entering medical reports into our electronic health care record system as needed.
Ultimately, you will work with Physicians and other medical professionals to transcribe notes and other voice recordings for our organization’s use.
- Convert transcribed diagnostic test results, procedures and consultation notes into applicable report formats
- Ensure uncompromised patient care by transcribing fast and accurately, as well as performing thorough editing
- Type out the full forms of medical abbreviations and acronyms, as well as the formal versions of medical jargon
- Identify and follow up on inconsistencies, errors and missing information within a transcribed report
- Submit transcriptions to healthcare professionals for their approval in a timely manner
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Medical Transcriptionist or similar role
- Ability to transcribe accurately and maintain a minimum typing speed of 65 words per minute
- Experience with specialized transcription equipment and voice recognition software, including WebChartMD and PhraseExpander
- In-depth knowledge of medical terminology and jargon, as well as editing practices
- Keen attention to detail in order to not compromise patient care
- Post-secondary training in medical transcription is preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a Medical Transcriptionist do?
Medical Transcriptionists listen to voice recordings that physicians and other healthcare workers produce, then convert them into written reports. They may also review and edit medical documents created using speech recognition technology for accuracy in recording information.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Medical Transcriptionist?
Medical Transcriptionists typically listen and transcribe recorded dictated notes from Physicians and other healthcare professionals for a patient’s medical file. They may also be responsible for organizing and entering patient medical information into the organization’s health record system.
What makes a good Medical Transcriptionist?
A good Medical Transcriptionist must have strong typing skills, as they will be transcribing dictated notes throughout the day. They must also be detail-oriented since they need to transcribe notes with a high degree of accuracy.
Who does a Medical Transcriptionist work with?
A Medical Transcriptionist typically works alone as they transcribe records, but they may need to work with a patient’s Physician to answer questions about specific notes they are working on.