Use this Grant Writer job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Grant Writer responsibilities include:
- Developing relationships and collaborating with key stakeholders
- Displaying adherence to the organization’s mission
- Maintaining proficient knowledge of the organization’s history and programs
We are looking for a Grant Writer to join our team and lead our efforts in securing funding to help our organization operate throughout the year.
A Grant Writer’s responsibilities include researching grant opportunities, writing compelling grant proposals to acquire funding, and working with our leadership team to ensure we have enough capital each year.
Ultimately, you will work with our leadership team to understand our financial needs and ensure we attain funding.
- Assist with the execution of the development department’s strategy
- Identify grant funding opportunities
- Write, submit and manage grant proposals
- Furnish prospective funders with supporting documents
- Collaborate with Executive Director and Director of Development to send benefactors newsletters and to promote on-site tours
- Collaborate with Director of Development to compile an annual report
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Grant Writer or similar role
- Proficient with measuring and reaching income goals
- Great with MS Office Word and Excel
- Excellent knowledge of fundraising information sources
- Exceptional organizational and writing skills
- Bachelor’s degree in creative writing or related field
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Grant Writer do?
- Grant Writers research, draft and submit proposals that help organizations or individuals receive grant funding. They also work with leaders in the organization to identify financial needs and ensure they reach their annual goals.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Grant Writer?
- A Grant Writer will have many responsibilities depending on the organization they work with, but they typically research grant opportunities, prepare proposals and write compelling grants to secure capital.
- What makes a good Grant Writer?
- A good Grant Writer must have excellent writing skills to ensure their grants resonate with the recipients. They also need to have great organizational skills to track opportunities that arise throughout the year.
- Who does a Grant Writer work with?
- A Grant Writer typically works with a Financial Controller and other leaders in an organization to understand their financial needs and secure needed funding each year.